Gazebo Photo by Anna Kate Alford

Biology teacher Mrs. Cason Wilkin is happy to be back in the classroom after missing two months to recover from her injuries.

Science teacher returns to classroom after accident

AP Biology teacher Mrs. Cason Wilkin is thrilled to be back after two months

April 20, 2017

For AP Biology teacher Mrs. Cason Wilkin, not seeing her students every day was the worst part of her long recovery.

Wilkin has been teaching at Stratford for four years. When she was a student here by a few familiar faces, including long-time science teacher Eleanor McDavid.

“Stratford is my home.” said Wilkin, who graduated in 1996. “I grew up here.”

In late January, Mrs. Wilkin was injured in a golf cart accident at a friend’s house. She was hospitalized for a week with a skull fracture, a contusion and double vision.

“I had to wear corrective lens. It healed on its own in three weeks” she said.

It normally takes eyes three to six months to heal from this kind of head injury, she said.

She was out for two months, and she missed her students.

She refused to let her injury get the best of her. To make sure she did not have any memory loss, she regularly used an educational, yet entertaining app, called “Lumosity.”

“[The app] made me more on my game,” she said.

The science department faculty helped Mrs. Wilkin make sure all her classroom deadlines were met. Mrs. McDavid, who retired last year, was able to substitute during the time she was out. While she was sad to not be able to teach her students, Mrs. Wilkin is glad she has such a great group of not only teachers, but friends to help her recovery.

Even though Mrs. Wilkin is currently back at school and teaching two classes, she still has to endure vertigo when she lies down.

She resumed teaching the Monday following Spring Break.  She said it it feels fantastic to be back and she is so glad to see her students.

Stratford Gazebo • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Stratford Gazebo Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *