Student band members rolling in the honors

Maggie Fuchs, Meredith Fuchs, Noah Fenimore, Nora Jorgensen, Gabriel Rader, Gracie Jorgensen earn spots

Six Stratford students — Maggie Fuchs, Meredith Fuchs, Noah Fenimore, Nora Jorgensen, Gabriel Rader, and Gracie Jorgensen — recently participated in the Sixth District Georgia Honor Band.  

The Sixth District is made up on 21 counties. Every year, hundreds  of young musicians compete to earn a place in these high school and middle school bands.

Three Stratford students —  sophomore Maggie Fuchs, senior Meredith Fuchs and eighth-grader Nora Jorgensen — scored high enough on their district auditions to participate in the South Honor Region. It will take place in Valdosta on April 26-28.  Maggie Fuchs plays the saxophone. Her sister, Meredith, plays the clarinet.

Jorgensen also plays the clarinet. Her performance earned her an audition for the Georgia All State band.   She also placed in the Georgia Middle School All State Band placing in the Elite Georgia All State band.

Last week, Jorgensen  performed with more than 100 other middle schoolers in the Athens Classic Center.  This is the highest honor that a middle school band member can achieve in the state.

The High School District Honor Jazz Band attracts students in the Sixth District who compete in October for this small and elite ensemble. Maggie Fuchs was one of only two alto saxophones selected. They performed for the participants of the district six Honor Band students in February.