Eleven seniors nominated for prestigious Golden Eagle awards

Eleven Stratford seniors have been nominated for Golden Eagles awards this year.

The student were nominated by department chairs and other faculty members. 

Each candidate was interviewed by a panel of judges at The Telegraph on Saturday, March 4.  The ceremony is in April at the Grand Opera House.

“The students are nominated based on both work in school and also work done outside of school in the surrounding community,’’ said Mrs. Martha Eubanks, Stratford’s college counselor, is in charge of the Golden Eagles nominations.

Seniors from more than 20 high schools in Middle Georgia will be recognized for their achievements and community involvement.

Meredith Fuchs was nominated for citizenship. She spearheaded the BeadforLife project, which directly contributes to Ugandan women and their families. She volunteered with Peacemakers, a group that benefits children from all socioeconomic backgrounds.

The nominee from Stratford in foreign language was STAR student Tarab Ajjan. She is the co-president of Spanish club. Tarab is fluent in both Arabic and Spanish. Outside of school, she tutors non-English speaking immigrants to better their English skills.

“I am so honored to receive this nomination because it is a great way to show my love of Spanish,” she said.

Andrew Smolensky has been nominated in the department of technology. He is the president of Technology Club. Outside of school, he volunteers with Aunt Maggie’s Kitchen Table, an organization that teaches children the fundamentals and basics of coding.

The Stratford students nominated are:

Art — Megan Wimberly (nominated by art instructor Mrs. Anastasia Fink.)
Athletics — Monica Montalvo (nominated by sports information director Terry Sowell.)

Citizenship — Meredith Fuchs (nominated by music director Ms. Laura Voss.)

Drama — Cameron Walsh (nominated by theatre director Ms. Sylvia Haynie.)
English — Zainab Siddiqui (nominated by English department chair Michelle Fleming.)

Foreign Language — Tarab Ajjan (nominated by Spanish teacher Ms. Aimee Grisham.)

Journalism —  Carly Wanna (nominated by journalism instructor Mr. Ed Grisamore.)

Math — Om Sakhalkar (nominated by math department chair Mr. Bobby Stecher.)

Music – Sarah Kate Sellers (nominated by music director Ms. Laura Voss.)
Science — Anna Kat Boswell (nominated by science department chair Mr. Luke Harrington.)
Technology — Andrew Smolensky (nominated by technology instructor Mr. Mike McCue.)