Literary Magazine Travels Abroad

Stratford’s student-run literary magazine, “Scribbles,” is going international.

The new FoLang LitMag will be published separately from Scribbles, according to Margaret Anne Rowe – who edits both publications – with submissions in languages other than English.

“It’s like an independent extension of the Literary Magazine,” Rowe said. “It’s a showcase of two of the school’s strengths, which are its English and foreign language departments.” image (1)

Hoping to publish twice this year, FoLang LitMag entries for the first edition are due on Friday, Nov. 1, with a planned release date in December.

In addition to promoting global awareness, the FoLang LitMag is designed to “promote the interest in learning foreign languages and applying them and in that delving into the culture. If you read and write it, you’ll be able to become more involved in the language itself,” editor Dori Kacsoh said.

The magazine wants more than just stories.

“Anything pertaining to foreign language and culture, so we can accept drawings, comic strips, poems, short stories, even music. We want anything that students are producing in a foreign language or related to a foreign culture,” said French teacher Ms. Rachel Chabot, who is advising the magazine.

Rowe expanded on Chabot’s list, noting that the new publication will accept not only submissions in the languages taught at Stratford – French, Spanish, and Latin – but also other languages that students speak at home but are not offered at school.

“We want stories, essays, artwork. More like comics than artwork. Basically anything that you have created for a foreign language class, we’ll take it. If you speak a language that is not taught at Stratford, submit that too. Hindi, Arabic, Hungarian, or whatever. You do not have to submit a translation. If we need one, we’ll provide it ourselves,” she said.

The FoLang LitMag was created and designed by Rowe and Kacsoh, who approached Chabot about their idea.

Publishing twice is an ambitious goal for a new magazine. If submissions for the first issue are scarce, “we’ll just tack it on to the English lit mag in the spring,” Kacsoh said. “Either way, there will be a foreign language element to the English lit mag.”

Chabot said the magazine is hoping to get more students to read the issues by publishing online with the Gazebo.

“Depending on how good the submissions are,” Chabot added, “there are competitions at both the state and national level that we might be interested in participating in.”

Although all of the editors except Kacsoh are seniors, the hope is to continue the FoLang LitMag beyond this year.