She takes students ‘where they need to be’

Patsy Hayslip making a difference in the Learning Support Center

November 7, 2017

Ms. Patricia “Patsy” Hayslip not only has been tutoring students in the Learning Support Center (LSC) for the past 20 years, she has been changing their lives.

She is the Director Coordinator of Services for the LSC.  Before she became director, she was an Algebra I and Algebra II teacher for 10 years.

She has the ability to discover what a student needs and to meet them at that point and take them where they need to be.

— Dr. Brenda Caldwell

“In undergraduate school, I majored in psychology and education,” she said. “I have always been interested in how students learn.”

Ms. Hayslip was a teacher for 11 years at a public school before she came to Stratford in 1986. She taught second, fifth, and eighth grade. 

As director of the LSC, Ms. Hayslip is responsible for the comprehensive program and the academic tutorial program. She also helps students get qualified for accommodation for the SAT and ACT.

“I try to provide academic support,” she said. “We make sure the Learning Center is here to make sure any accommodations that are appropriate are put in place.

“My favorite part about working in the LSC is what I get to do every day,’’ she said. “I get go over a variety of subjects and I get to work with a variety of age levels. Every day is new, and I love that.’’

Dr. Brenda Caldwell describes Ms. Hayslip as “smart, passionate, and focused.”

“She has the ability to discover what a student needs and to meet them at that point and take them where they need to be,” Dr. Caldwell said.