Introducing the new Upper School teachers

August 28, 2018

Mrs. Candace Bridges

Gazebo Photo by Chandani Patel
Mrs. Candace Bridges, science teacher

Mrs. Candace Bridges replaced Mr. Phil Nicodemo this year. She teaches freshman biology and environmental science. She joins her husband, Ross Bridges, in the science department.

Mrs. Bridges was a science teacher at Tattnall Square Academy for 10 years, and was awarded a Masters Teacher certification through the Georgia Independent Schools Association. Although this is her first year teaching at Stratford, she has taught Stratford students over various science subjects through tutoring. She also was a tutor in the Learning Support Center.

“I feel like it is my innate gift that I can receive information and break it down in a way so that others can understand which is why I though being a teacher would be good for me,” she said.

When asked why she chose science over other school subjects, Mrs. Bridges said, “I have loved science ever since I was a kid. I wanted to be an archeologist when I was young and I went to a marine biology camp during high school.”

Mrs. Bridges hopes to have more labs and hands-on learning with the students during her first year.

Ms. Kinsey Peterson

Gazebo Photo by Caroline Sutherland
Ms. Kinsey Peterson, science teacher

Ms. Kinsey Peterson is new to the science department, teaching Biology and Physiology.

She came to Stratford from Furman University, where she received Bachelor of Science degree.

She has gotten involved as an advisor with the Student Leadership Board.

Growing up, Ms.Peterson always wanted to be a science teacher. She said some “pretty amazing teachers” affected her life and her view on education, and she wishes to impact children’s lives as much as they impacted her’s.

Her teaching style includes activities requiring hands-on work. Outside of teaching, she enjoys watching Netflix, outdoor activities and horseback riding.

Ms. Kayla Watson

Gazebo Photo by Niya Dillard
Ms. Kayla Watson, Spanish teacher

Ms. Kayla Watson is one of the two new Spanish teachers. She originally is from Abingdon, Va., and attended James Madison University to receive her Bachelor’s Degree, Virginia Tech University for her Master’s Degree, and the University of Maryland for her Doctorate’s Degree.

Ms. Watson’s desire to teach Spanish began when she took a literature class on human rights violations and later decided to live in Peru for a few months. There, she became interested with the Spanish language.

She taught for four years at the university level and for four summers, she has taught in the Upward Bound Program.

Ms. Watson spends her free time being an “adrenaline junky,” doing activities such as rock climbing and hiking and also, playing with her dog, Dilly.