Literary Team Triumphs

The annual GISA Literary Competitions take place during the month of March.  A Stratford team competed and excelled at both region and state contests.

Students hoping to make the team go through auditions followed by a preparation period. Stratford sent 18 upper school students on March 10 to Wesleyan College in Macon to compete for region honors.

The Girls’ Trio (singing) included seniors Maggie Bergmark, Emmy Thornsberry, and Madelyn Pyles.  Bergmark also competed for Girls Solo. The Boys’ Quartet consisted of seniors Johnny Cohen, William Staton, Mitchell Freyermuth, and Will Bowdoin.  Freyermuth also competed for Boys Solo.

Sophomores Asa Marshall, Dylan Quintal, and freshman Meredith Fuchs competed in  the Oral Interpretation categories. Junior Joshua Wangerin and freshman Om Sakhalkhar vied for recognition in U.S. (Domestic) and International Extemporaneous Speaking.

Senior Margaret Anne Rowe and juniors Mary Caroline Hulgan  and Zohar Rubinstein  competed in Personal, Rhetorical,  and Argumentative Essay Writing. Sophomore Shishir Bandi competed in Spelling, senior Emily Schlottman in Humorous Oral Interpretation, and senior Stacey Dorogy in Piano.

Stratford, as a team, placed 2nd overall in the region competition. The Girls’ Trio, Boys’ Quartet, Girls Solo, Piano, Essay Writers and Wangerin in Extemporaneous Speaking, all placed either first or second and moved on to state.

On March 18 the literary team finalists traveled to Valdosta State University. The Girls’ Trio placed first, and Bergmark, Girls Solo competitor, also placed first. Personal essay and argumentative essay representatives, Rowe and Zohar, both placed third. As a whole, the team did not place first or second, but they scored more points in music than any other school.  Band director Laura Voss, who coaches and travels with the team said,  “Stratford was very well represented.”

Other faculty members who helped prep Stratford’s Literary competitors include Mrs. Sylvia Haynie, Director of Theatre, Mrs. Michelle Fleming, English Dept. Chair, and Mrs. Mike Kelley, History Dept. Chair.