Sophomore Organizes December Blood Drive

Sophomore Bailey Toole is recruiting faculty and students to give blood this December.

The drive, which Toole is organizing through the Red Cross,  will be held on Dec. 22 from 2-7 p.m. at Vineville Internal Medicine on Vineville Ave.

“I really love working with the Red Cross.  I can’t donate blood right now, so I figured if I can’t contribute that way then I want to in some other way,” Toole said.  Toole is 15, and the minimum age to donate blood is 16.

Mr. Chance Reynolds, upper school assistant principal, said he will participate as a blood donor.

Sophomore Bailey Toole is organizing a community blood drive scheduled for December.

“I think the blood drive is a wonderful idea, and I’m a big fan of any student leadership opportunity.  In this case, Bailey took it upon herself to initiate this, so all of our faculty should do everything we can to support her efforts,” Reynolds said.

Toole has spent the fall sending out e-mails to the faculty and coordinating the drive itself with Vineville Internal Medicine.

“Being the only one working on [the blood drive] is a bit stressful,” Toole said.  “The faculty has been super supportive about sending out emails and pushing it forward.”

The only qualifications for participating are being 16 years of age and willing to donate, Toole said.  Students too young to donate blood are welcome to help.

“I’m looking for a couple volunteers to pass out forms and snacks, and you don’t have to be 16 to volunteer,” Toole said.

Toole’s blood drive will not conflict with the annual spring drive sponsored by Stratford’s Key Club, of which Toole also is a member.