Homecoming court takes center stage Friday

The homecoming court has been announced, and the excitement is all throughout the halls in Stratford.

The homecoming game is on Friday, Oct 2, and the queen will be announced at halftime.

Eight seniors, and one representative from each grade level were chosen by their peers to be a part of this year’s homecoming court.
The senior representatives are Sabina Ajjan, Caroline Sutherland, Evie Tharpe, Niya Dillard, Sarah Pyles, Mary Kate Groves, Carson Simmons, and Miller Cranford.

Harley Anne Shurling will represent the junior class, Annabeth Tarbutton is the sophomore class representative, and Mazzy Sowell was chosen for the freshman class.

I can’t wait to walk out on the field and see all of my friends and family there.

— Evie Tharpe, senior

“I’m so excited and honored to be nominated,’’ senior Evie Tharpe said. “It was a huge surprise for me and I can’t wait to walk out on the field and see all of my friends and family there.” 

The homecoming festivities will cap a week-long Spirit Week at The Academy. Senior Ben Jamison was crowned homecoming king at halftime of the Powder Puff game last Friday.

On the football field, the Eagles will play Mount Paran Christian in their second game of the season.

“I’m very shocked and honored,’’ Miller Cranford said. “I don’t feel as though I’m nearly as deserving as some of the other girls. I’m most excited about seeing everyone’s dresses on the court. I’ve only seen pictures, but everyone is going to look gorgeous.”

Many of the girls are looking forward to seeing their friends and everyone’s dresses on the field. It is the most important and exciting game of the year with everything going on especially seeing all the girls dressed up.

“I can’t wait to get all dressed up and be honored on the field Friday night,’’  Niya Dillard said. “I’m also super excited to be out there with such amazing girls who [were] also selected to be on the court.’’

Jenny Bell Butler, homecoming queen of class 2020, will be there Friday night to crown the next senior girl as the homecoming queen for the class of 2021.

Junior Harley Anne Shurling said she was “super surprised” after she won a run-off for junior class representative.

It will be the perfect way to end a fun week of dressing up, and a wonderful memory that I will never forget.

— Annabeth Tarbutton, sophomore

“I was super surprised that I made the top three for homecoming representatives this year but even more shocked to have won,’’ she said. “I am super excited even though this year looks a little different. I know it is going to be a great night, and I am so thankful to be a part of it.’’

Sophomore Annabeth Tarbutton is looking forward to the experience.

“It will be the perfect way to end a fun week of dressing up, and a wonderful memory that I will never forge,t’’ she said.

Freshman Mazzy Sowell also is thrilled to be a part of the court.

“It is really fun getting to know the older girls and pick out dresses,’’ she said. “ I cannot wait for the game, and I will always be grateful to have been a part of this.’’