‘Oh my God, it’s Mark Richt’

IMG_6230 3 (1)
Miami head football coach was a surprise visitor in Nancy Todd’s classroom on Tuesday, Jan. 19. (Photo courtesy of Quintez Cephus)

By NICK DOROGY, Gazebo Staff Writer

Nancy Todd rubbed her eyes and thought she must be dreaming when the man knocked on her classroom door.

D07A8900
Nancy Todd

“He stuck his head in the opening, and I think my jaw dropped,” she said. “I turned and stared. I didn’t say a word. My eyes were wide, and I was like, ‘Oh my God, it’s Mark Richt!’ ”

The Stratford humanities teacher said she was shocked to receive a surprise visit from Miami head football coach Mark Richt while teaching her third period class during extended period on Jan. 19.

While discussing the questions of life, Todd said there was an unexpected knock on the door of Room 132. Suddenly, the former Georgia football coach, a familiar figure for sports fans, popped his head into the room.

Todd’s students, stunned by their famous guest, instantly began taking pictures. Custis Donner, a Stratford senior, even attempted to get a video, but was unable to find a good angle.

“The students were extremely well-behaved,” Todd said. “I was very impressed.”

CephusQuintez (1)
Quintez Cephus

After the pictures, the hushed classroom looked on as Coach Richt asked to talk with highly recruited senior Quintez Cephus.

Todd offered to have them meet in the front of the classroom. But Richt preferred to have a private conversation with Cephus, so they moved down the hall to the board room.

Since the visit with Coach Richt, Cephus told The Gazebo his college decision has become a little more difficult. After explaining his desire to be recruited by Coach Richt, he said he has been offered the opportunity to play basketball at Miami.

Cephus is currently verbally committed to Wisconsin, where football coaches have also offered him the opportunity to be a two-sport athlete.

“I’ve always been a fan of Mark Richt,” Cephus said. “The whole time I was talking to him, he was just the greatest person.”

Cephus said he will announce his college choice  on National Signing Day, Wednesday, Feb. 3.