Eaglettes showing firepower in region tournament play

Senior Ashlee Francis and assistant coach Shelli Wall discuss strategy at a game earlier this year. (Photo courtesy of Stratford Academy)

By LEAH DAVIS, Gazebo Staff Writer

The basketball teams are the main focus of the winter sports season here at Stratford Academy. Although much attention is given to the varsity boys, the girls’ team has given the school many reasons to be proud. They have a record of 21-3 and posted a nine-game winning streak in the middle of the season.

Averaging 18 points a game,  senior Ashlee Francis, the Eaglette’s leading scorer, fills the role of team leader.

“The team needs a leader, and I’m a senior,” she said. “I feel obligated to step up and lead them. … I think we have good team chemistry because we work well together.”

The Stratford girls are playing in this week’s region tournament with a lot of confidence. Carey Woodcock, a sophomore, believes the team can go far.

“I believe if we work together as a team and continue to work hard and prepare at practice, everything will fall into place,” she said

The girls’ lopsided 54-18 victory against Aquinas in the first round of the region tournament was one of their eight wins by 35 points or more. Woodcock scored  17 points, with a pair of three-pointers, while Francis added 8. The girls will play again this Friday at Hancock Central in Sparta at 7.

Sophomores Carey Woodcock, left, and Evans McCook have been instrumental in the success of the Stratford girls basketball team this season. (Photo courtesy of Stratford Academy)