REVIEW: ‘Kate’ performance proved worthy of kiss

12718162_1219657664729932_3328669977689069543_n (1)

By CARSON GREENE, Gazebo Correspondent

“K​iss Me Kate” i​s not another average play.

Carson Greene
Carson Greene is a sophomore and a correspondent/reviewer for The Gazebo

It is almost metaphysical, including “Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew” w​ithin the play.

But Shakespeare’s classic work merely serves as a backdrop and an allegory to the lives of the cast and production crew putting on the play in Baltimore.

There were 82 Stratford students, grades 1-12, in the cast, and more than 90 total were involved in the performances Sunday and Monday at the Henry Tift Fine Arts Auditorium.

The play is romantic, funny, and intense. The storyline is intricate, primarily focusing on the struggles of Fred Graham. He is trying to put on “T​aming of the Shrew,” while dealing with his rambunctious cast and his ex-­wife, Lilli Vanessi, who is the main star of the play.

However, his troubles do not end there as one of the cast members, Bill Calhoun, has a gambling debt on Graham which attracts the attention of two gangsters.

Throughout the play, the actors all performed well, and had good direction. The lighting was good for the most part with my only qualm being faulty audio during the first act during Sunday’s opening matinee performance.

Overall, “K​iss Me Kate” ​was a very enjoyable experience, with notable performances from Walker Gibbons as Fred Graham and Sarah Kate Sellers as Kate, along with Asa Marshall as Bill Calhoun.