Griffin, Orona lead in softball

GriffinCatcher
Catcher Hannah Griffin is among the many reasons the girls softball team is unbeaten this season. (Photo courtesy of Stratford Sports Information.)

By WADE SNOW, Gazebo Sports Writer

Hannah Griffin and Alyssa Orona have been playing softball together for more than seven years.

From travel ball to Windsor Academy and Stratford, and now their dual college commitments to Gordon State University, their softball careers have always gone hand-in-hand.

After they decided to transfer from Windsor to Stratford at the start of last school year, they immediately became contributing members to the Eagles team that made it to the Final Four.

Alyssa Orona has been among the leaders on the unbeaten girls softball team this season. (Photo courtesy of Stratford Sports Information.)

Now, with a year of GHSA experience under their belts, they have brought senior leadership to the Stratford team. The team is in the process of trying to repeat their success, even with the loss of a strong senior class that included Mary Wilson Avant, now playing at the University of Georgia.

“Honestly it’s been kind of weird being looked towards to take a leadership role because there are girls who have been on the team longer than I have, but I feel like I am ready for it,” said Griffin,  a catcher for the Eagles.

Orona, the team’s center fielder,  has also enjoyed taking part in the season and is confident in the Eagles’ chances.

The Eagles are currently undefeated at 15-0, and MaxPreps has them ranked as the No. 5 team in the state. Their unbeaten record will be on the line tonight on the road against the 11-2 Tattnall Trojans in a game with major region implications.

Griffin (1)
Hannah Griffin
Orona (1)
Alyssa Orona