New Daws Student Activities Center dedicated

Dr. Veto: 'You're going to be excited to see what we've done'

September 23, 2017

After a year-long renovation and a month to add the finishing touches, Stratford officially dedicated the Daws Student Activities Center on Monday.

The new facility is part of the academy’s long-range campus renovation plan. It is named for Jim Daws, a long-time Stratford supporter, a member of the board of trustees and president of Sierra Development Group.

“This was always a building we didn’t want to include on a campus tour, and this is no longer true,” said Dr. Bob Veto, Stratford’s head of school. “We are extremely proud, and if you have not been inside you’re going to be exited to see what we’ve done.”

Stratford students and faculty remember it as the former Lower School. After grades 1-5 moved into the new Cantrell Lower School in Fall 2016, the old building began its year-long transformation.

It features a full-size gymnasium with bleachers and sideline areas to players and fans. There are locker rooms, coaches offices, a girls fitness room and multi-purpose athletic and extra-curricular rooms.

“There are three ASAP (After School Activities Program) rooms that are available for students,” said Mrs. Kathleen Medlin, the school’s director of institutional advancement. “There are coaches offices and locker rooms and the McAfee Fine Arts Suite, which is for preschool and lower school art and music.”