Students receive training in CPR, defibrillator

"S.C.A.R.E." team hosted by Stratford's HOSA club

February 22, 2018

Gazebo Photo by Chandani Patel
Sarah Koplin reassures CPR dummy she is doing it the correct way

About 20 Stratford students received training in basic life support, CPR and AED (automated external defibrillator) on Thursday.

Stratford’s HOSA club (Health Occupations Students of America) hosted the training. Two members of Dr. Felix Sogade’s “SCARE” team came to The Academy. “SCARE” stands for sudden cardiac arrest research and education.

Dr. Sogade is a parent of Stratford sophomore Tomi Sogade. He has been practicing these techniques for more than 20 years. One of his passions is cardiac arrest research and bringing awareness/education to others.

His team trains young adults about what cardiac arrest is and what to do if it happens around you. Stratford Academy is the first school Dr. Sogade and his team have offered training.

“The infrastructure at Stratford is setup so that new opportunities are always welcomed. It is a very open environment so I think the reason why Dr. Sogade chose us is because we would be able to facilitate his needs,” senior Tejas Athni said.

Athni is the president and McKay Powers and Alexandra Stefanis are vice presidents of the club.  Science teacher Mrs. Cason Wilkin is the advisor.

“To be able to host this event is a great honor and it is one of the things I am the most proud of. I love hands-on learning and this session offers that,”  Mrs. Wilkin said.

Since HOS has started, they have had a volunteer medical clinic at Morningside and a school-wide clinic where students measured blood pressure. HOSA is excited for the training session because members believe is it important for everyone to know how to use and AED and spread awareness about sudden cardiac arrest.

“Sudden cardiac arrest or another emergency can arise whenever and wherever so training kids early will teach them these basic skills and they will be equipped to save a life whether it be at school or at home or somewhere in public. I think that education is the best prevention,” Tejas said.

The session provided full certification in CPR, AED, and basic life support skills. This certification will last two years. Some students renewed their certification. Others received their certification for the first time.

“It is a big honor. I think that we are very humble that Dr. Sogade is able to bring this to our school first and have us help out pilot the experiment and test the results of this education initiative,” Tejas said. “Hopefully, in the future, this will grow into larger scales in our community.”