Jamisons a double take

Brothers play key roles in Eagles’ success

jamison-kick-1
Ames Jamison (17) is the holder for his brother, Jake, a place-kicker (34) for the Eagles. (Photo courtesy of Stratford Sports Information)

BY WADE SNOW and NICK DOROGY, Gazebo Sports Writers

If you have attended any Stratford football games this year, chances are you’ve heard the name “Jamison” called over the loudspeaker several times.

This is not a coincidence. There are two Jamisons on this year’s roster.
Brothers Ames and Jake both have played vital roles in the Eagles’ success this season.

img_0063
Ames Jamison is a senior and co-captain. (Photo courtesy of Stratford Sports Information)

Ames, a senior and captain on the team, plays wingback and cornerback. Jake, a junior, is the place-kicker and handles kickoff duties.

“Ames is just a guy that when you need someone, you can always call on him,” said head football coach Mark Farriba.

Jake has improved in his kicking duties since last year.

“I haven’t had much training. I just started practicing more on my own, and that’s what helped me improve the most from last year,’’ he said.

Jake has been practically automatic on extra points, hitting 23 of 25 attempts. He has booted five of seven field goals, and showed good range. His longest successful field goal is from 37 yards. He has kicked an impressive 12 touchbacks this season.

“Every now and then I will ‘Charlie Brown’ him just to keep him on his toes. — Ames Jamison, on holding for his brother, placekicker Jake Jamison

“Jake appears to have been stronger and more powerful with his kicking this year. He’s more consistent,” said Farriba. “I have total confidence in Jake. When we send him out for a field goal, we don’t worry about it.”

Although Ames’ main role is on the defensive side of the ball as one of the team’s leading tacklers, he is also the holder for all field goals and extra points that his little brother kicks.

“Coach just asked me to hold one day, and for the last two years I’ve been holding ever since,” said the older Jamison. “It’s been a cool experience holding for him. Every now and then I will ‘Charlie Brown’ him just to keep him on his toes.”