Spanish Club holds successful handwoven bracelet sale

More than $1,200 was raised for non-profit Pulsera Project

Gazebo Photo by Ben Baxley

Junior Anna Grace Grossnickle, left, sells handwoven Pulsera bracelets for Spanish Club during break

The Spanish Club recently raised more than $1,200 selling handwoven “Pulsera” bracelets as part of the Pulsera Project.

The colorful bracelets were sold in the main lobby during break.

Gazebo Photo by Ben Baxley
Stratford’s Spanish Club raised more than $1,200 for the Pulsera Project

Along with the students, we wanted to bring the culture of the countries we have studied to the rest of the school,” said Ms. Kayla Watson, advisor for the Spanish Club. “I got the idea after initial research of service-based organizations, so we could extend Stratford’s commitment to service beyond our school community. I also liked that we could invite the lower and middle schools students as well.”

The Pulsera Project is a non-profit organization that connects artists from Central America with students in more than 2,500 schools in the U.S.

“All proceeds are donated to the artisans and their communities and the organization focuses on education and empowerment,” Ms. Watson said.

She said the proceeds from the sale will  greatly impact these Nicaraguan communities.

“Along with the monetary contribution, Stratford students have learned more about Nicaragua and its culture,” she said. “We have had a very successful event and students are already asking if we will hold it again next year.”