Eagles open with hard-fought victory on the road

By CARLY WANNA
Gazebo Staff Writer

SAVANNAH — The Stratford Eagles kicked off their football season Friday night with a hard-fought 41-33 win against the Savannah Country Day Hornets.

After a 30-minute lightning delay, the Eagles took to the Hornet’s home turf, Saunders Field. Stratford’s first two games this season are on the road.

Savannah Country Day came out with an early touchdown from sophomore Adam Byck. The Hornets missed the PAT.

The Eagles quickly countered with a touchdown from Casey Sanders, and Jake Jamison kicked the extra point.

Senior O’Showen Williams and Quintez Cephus followed with touchdowns to put Stratford ahead 27-13 at halftime.

In the second half, the Hornet’s lead scorer, Byck, scored three times for Savannah.

Williams and Tyler Jordan scored twice for the Eagles, who held on for the win. Williams finished with three touchdowns.

“I was excited. I just wanted to see our team play,” said Stratford Head Coach Mark Farriba. “We had a score just about every time we had the ball. But we just had a hard time stopping them.”

Cephus, Jordan and Sanders all contributed to the Eagles’ winning effort.

“I just felt like I had to be a leader since I was the veteran of GHSA,” said Williams. “I think [the win] gives us a lot of confidence to see that we can compete with teams.”

The Eagles will travel to Norcross to face off against the Wesleyan Wolves on Friday.