ALWAYS IN HIS HEART

QT carries part of Stratford with him

dsc_1174-1

BY NICK DOROGY, Gazebo Staff Writer

Quintez Cephus has a new wardrobe.

He has switched the Stratford blue for the red football jersey of the Wisconsin Badgers.

Although Cephus no longer wears the Stratford star on his helmet, he carries part of his alma mater in his heart every time he steps on the field.

“I go onto the field thinking about you guys and knowing you guys are watching me, pushes me to another level. You guys are family,” Cephus said.

As a high school athlete, Cephus was one of the area’s best all-around and was named the Macon Telegraph’s Selby Buck award recipient for top all-around athlete in Middle Georgia last year.

In his senior year at Stratford, Cephus recorded 916 receiving yards and 16 all purpose touchdowns.

Cephus said he would never forget Stratford’s influence.

“I am so blessed to be in this situation right now. You guys support for me has been unreal,” he said. “I have enjoyed helping to make Stratford Academy and Middle Georgia known nation-wide. I love you guys unconditionally.”

Although Cephus has only caught one pass this season, he has played in all four Wisconsin victories and is considered one of their top young receivers.

However, it was a surprise that Cephus would be playing his freshman year.

“I had an idea [I would be playing] once I started to receive reps with the first and second team halfway through fall camp,” Cephus said.

Cephus played his first game on national television against then fifth-ranked LSU. His most recent game was a 30-6 victory over Michigan State, a semifinalist in last year’s national playoffs.