Four Titles, Going on Five?

Four titles in four years.

It’s the longest current streak of state championships for any sport, boys or girls, at Stratford.

Having secured a region title and top seed in this season’s playoffs, softball is gunning for a fifth state title.

This season has mirrored last year’s season very closely, with a record of 15-5 with five games remaining, one before the playoffs begin on Monday, Oct. 7.

The team’s main competition this year has come from Bulloch Academy, Tattnall Square Academy, and Flint River Academy. Stratford has lost to each team at least once, losing all of its games against Bulloch and Flint River, and once to Tattnall.

“We are challenged in that we have lost some good players in the last few years, but the girls we have now are just as talented, and they have to realize their abilities and maximize their potential,”  Coach Jeff Treadway said.

Some of the team’s stars are its younger players.  Mary Wilson Avant – who pitched a 7-4 victory on Tuesday night against Windsor Academy –  is just a sophomore.

“We don’t have any main weaknesses. We are still a pretty young team with only one senior on the team, so the younger players are still trying to learn how to step up and fill in big shoes,” junior Lucy Bobbitt said. “We all have been playing together for a long time and we know how to play off of each other really well. If a teammate is down we can pick her up, and we can keep playing hard to win the game. I guess everyone’s good at their position and we come together as a team.”