Stratford well-represented at Kiwanis art, talent showcase

Kiwanis
Ann Thompson’s winning entry in the visual arts category. (Photo by CARLY WANNA, Gazebo Editor)

By CARLY WANNA, Gazebo Editor

Several Stratford juniors and seniors recently competed in the Kiwanis Club Art and Talent Showcase.

Senior Ann Thompson earned first in the visual arts portion. Seniors Savannah Alday and Victoria Brown won second and third respectively in the performance portion.

Thompson earned a $1,500 scholarship for her first-place designation. Alday and Brown collected $750 and $500. 

Thompson submitted her artwork to the civic club about two weeks before the day of the performance portion of the competition on March 12.  

“I feel like we don’t have many art competitions, or that’s the only one we ever really enter in, so I was excited but very surprised,” said Thompson.  

Although her AP art class did not require her to submit her work, art teacher Casper Fredrickson, encouraged it.  

Shijing Gong (junior), Tift Palmer (senior), and Ramsie Whitworth (senior) received honorable mentions for their work.  

This year’s competition took place at Fickling Hall in the McCorkle Music Building at Mercer University’s Townsend School.

The Kiwanis Club is a national organization with a mission to service through a variety of projects. The club sponsors an annual talent show open to sophomores, juniors and seniors from across Bibb County to compete for up to $1,500 in scholarship money.