Shooters aim high, place fourth

Senior Bobby Cleveland (center) won first place in the skeet competition and was named to the all-state team. (Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Cleveland.)

By REGAN OLIVER, Gazebo Staff Writer

This past weekend, the Stratford shooting team placed fourth in the GISA Class A tournament in Savannah. (Although Stratford is in its second year in the GHSA, the shooting team still competes in GISA.)

The team consists of Grant Bailey, Harrison Bailey, Lucas Brewer, Preston Brewer, Will Chambless, Tommy Cleveland, Steve Durkee, Jack Evans, Colton Gilleland, Jeffery Hale, Luke Haney, Blake Hendley, Davis Jones, Avery Layton, Lucy Lee, George Lind, John Morgan Manley, Bobby McCord, John Chandler McMaster, Clifton Olmstead, Dylan Reynolds, Loy Sheridan, Austin Slocumb, Brannen Suggs and Jeffrey Waldrop.

The other schools competing in the state meet were FPD, Tattnall, Strong Rock, John Hancock, Woodward and Lakeview.

Stratford senior Tommy Cleveland earned first place in skeet individual and also was named all-state. Davis Jones, a junior, was also named to the all-state team.

The top sporting clay shooters were Brannen Suggs, a sophomore, with a 79, Harrison Bailey, a freshman, with a 78, and Blake Hendley, a junior, shot a score of 76.

The two top skeet shooters for Stratford were Tommy Cleveland and Bobby McCord. The three top trap shooters were Tommy Cleveland, Davis Jones, and George Lind.

“It was great to be apart of the shooting team for three years,” said Cleveland. “I’m glad I got to spend time with some other people.”