Top students offer study tips

Gazebo Photo by Sabina Ajjan

Sophomore Jocelyn Tang works on a math equation

Gazebo Photo by Sabina Ajjan
Sophomore Nathan Dummitt

Jocelyn Tang and Nathan Dummitt are two of the most successful students in the 10th grade.

Jocelyn recommends people review their notes for each class every day.

“If I don’t have a lot of homework, then I will definitely go over [all of them],” she said. “But if I have a lot of homework, then I will just go over that one class that is harder.”

She starts studying for tests the weekend before an exam.

Nathan advises freshmen to take advantage of study hall.

“I generally make sure that I have every possible thing done and maybe even try and get ahead before I start playing on my phone or playing on my computer,” he said.

Nathan studies multiple days in advance for tests.

“I generally study more the less I know about a subject,” Nathan explained.

They both play multiple sports as well.  They recommend managing your time by getting as much homework done as possible before practices, games and other extracurricular activities.

Senior Sai Pagadala has always been a studious student. She believes time management, asking for help during tutorial and help desk, and balancing school work with extracurricular activities is key to being a studious student.

Teachers are always here to help and there are so many websites online that can help reinforce materials if the teachers are not available. Also, find friends who are equally as motivated to study with you. You’ll benefit each other in the long run.

— Sai Pagadala

Her study routine consists of making quizlets from her notes so she can review as she types the notes out and go over them throughout the day before the test or quiz. She also goes to tutorial to review with the teachers and uses Khan Academy for her math and science courses. She uses Khan Academy to either practice problems/lessons or review her notes from class.

Sai says her motivation comes from her parents, who have given her all of the resources and opportunities and are always pushing her to work hard and focus on her schoolwork. She also gains motivation when she makes a grade that is lower than what she is capable of, motivating her to work hard and bring the grade up.

Her advice to students is to utilize the resources given to them.

“Teachers are always here to help and there are so many websites on-line that can help reinforce materials if the teachers are not available,” she said. “Also, find friends who are equally as motivated to study with you. You’ll benefit each other in the long run.”