Roll out the red carpet … it’s Homecoming Week

It’s that time of year again. The homecoming court for the 2021-2022 school year has been announced and the powderpuff game has been scheduled for September 22.

The homecoming court was announced Monday, August 3oth during the weekly morning assembly. With the gift of a rose or a crown, Student Leadership Board Advisors, Ms. Kinsey Peterson and Mr. Stephen O’Hara, called 22 representatives to the stage.

The freshmen representatives are Sophie Leigh and Brooks Garner. The sophomores will be represented by Ellie Mincey and Christopher Evans. The junior class representatives are Zoe Leigh and Mack Strickland.

Sisters Sophie and Zoe Leigh are both on the 2021 homecoming court, so who is walking each of them down the field?

Zoe said that Sophie will be escorted by either her grandfather or uncle, while Zoe will be escorted by her dad.

“Sophie told me I could have my dad because I was older,” Zoe said. “We didn’t really fight over it.”

Eight senior girls were chosen to represent the senior class. The court includes Shelby Bandt, Carly Blackwood, Anna Caroline Hutchinson, Shorter McCook, Helen Pope, Mary Spencer Reeves, Bonnie Sherwood and Harley Anne Shurling.

The boys court is made up of Gunn Bush, Langley Fickling, Garrett Lang, Jack Minette, Matt Moore, Max Payne, Stephen Scarborough and Darius Tamale. 

“I did not expect to get voted for, but it happened and whatever happens, happens,” Darius said. He said Darius is walk on the field with his mom, alongside his other class representatives. 

Stratford’s homecoming king will be announced the night of the Powderpuff game. The homecoming queen will be crowned by Head of School, Logan Bowlds, the Head of the Upper School, Mrs. Theresa Ferrari, and the reigning homecoming queen, Caroline Sutherland (‘21), the night of the Homecoming game, September 24. 

The annual powderpuff game will be held Wednesday September 22nd. The freshmen (“Frosty Freshman”) will be playing the juniors (“Junior Jaws”), and the sophomores (“Surfs Up Sophomores”) will be playing the seniors (“Senior Sheriffs”). 

The homecoming week themes were announced in the Monday assembly by the Student Leadership Board on September 13th. Monday is Movie Night, Tuesday is Tuxedo Tuesday, Wednesday is Western Wednesday, Thursday is Jersday, and Friday is Flavor-Town Friday. 

After not being able to have a homecoming dance last year due to Covid-19, SLB Advisor Kinsey Peterson said she is excited to have the homecoming dance back in full action this year.

“I also am looking forward to seeing everyone enjoy the homecoming themes we have in place and participate in the break activities without major restrictions,” Ms. Peterson said.

The SLB expects all students to participate in the yearly tradition of homecoming week. Whether it’s a cowboy hat or a suit, all students should use this week as an opportunity to dress down and get excited for the homecoming game.