Shivdat named STAR student

Stratford senior named science teacher Mrs. Candace Bridges as his STAR teacher

Darran Shivdat has been Stratford’s STAR student for this year. The announcement was made on Wednesday, Feb. 2, at the all-school assembly.

In order to be named a STAR Student, a student must be in the top 10 percent  of their class and obtain the highest SAT score in one sitting. 

Pullquote Photo

“It feels good to be recognized not only for what we do inside of the classroom, but also for what we do outside.”

— Mrs. Candace Bridges, science teacher

“It means a lot to me because it’s something I’ve worked extremely hard for,’’ Darran said.

He said he took the SAT three times and aimed for improvement each time. His highest score was 1530. A perfect SAT score is 1600.

Each STAR student gets to name their STAR teacher. Darran selected Mrs. Candace Bridges of the science department. 

“Instead of hindering academic excellence and stopping you from pursuing biology outside of the classroom, she promotes it,” Darran said. “She always makes sure you are not only doing well in her class, but also in life.” 

“It feels good to be recognized not only for what we do inside of the classroom, but also for what we do outside,” Mrs. Bridges said.
The next step for the STAR student is to attend a banquet with all the other STAR students and STAR teachers, where the regional STAR student will be announced.