FLIK makes triumphant return to cafeteria

New FLIK chef Ms. Erin Guy

Junior Parker Epps has been at Stratford since lower school.  

He said it was weird when FLIK left last year because it was all he had ever known. 

“I have been at Stratford since first grade and since then we have always had FLIK,” he said. “It was a normal thing that I was really used to, so when we changed it last year due to COVID it just felt really weird.”

FLIK took a hiatus from Stratford last fall because of COVID restrictions. Campus Cuisine, a dining service offering menus from local restaurants, was put in place. Many students were excited at first to try something new but many students later realized how much they missed FLIK, and many are glad to have it back. 

Ms. Erin Guy is the new FLIK chef. She has been in the food service industry since 2007. She started out at a large public school district in Florida before moving to Middle Georgia and became the food service director at a local university. 

“It was a normal thing that I was really used to, so when we changed it last year due to COVID it just felt really weird.” 

— Parker Epps, junior

She said she does not see coming to Stratford as a challenge, and that she enjoys the younger kids as opposed to university students. She enjoys the football games, hearing the band practicing, and “goofing” off with the students. 

Since FLIK’s return, Ms.Guy has initiated a five week rotating menu. At the end of those five weeks, the  staff and her will revise what did and did not work well. As of now they are following the prepared schedule. 

Ms. Guy and the FLIK staff have worked hard at making the cafeteria have a variety of options for the students. With new vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, and home-style cooking options she hopes students will feel content with the abundance, and not feel as if they are always eating the same food.

Ms. Guy says how even though school is not everyone’s favorite, she wants lunch to be an enjoyable experience for all of Stratford’s students, and serving the students is truly what she loves.