Haynie looking forward to returning to home stage

The Gazebo staff had a chance to interview professional actor and musician F. Michael Haynie this past week. Haynie, a member of Stratford’s Class of 2004, now lives and works in New York and was in Macon to visit family and friends.

He will perform a concert at Stratford on Saturday, Nov. 21, at 7 p.m. in the Henry Tift Fine Arts Auditorium, where he began his acting and music career. His mother, Sylvia Haynie, is the director of theatre at Stratford.

Tickets to the performance are $15 for students and $20 for adults. Advance sale tickets are $10 for students and $15 for adults.

Haynie has appeared in two Broadway shows,  “Wicked” and “Holler If You Hear Me.” Last year, he played the character of Slightly Soiled in the ABC-TV production of “Peter Pan.”

He also is an accomplished song writer and has been working on an original musical called “Victory City.” Several of the songs from the new show were recently performed at a venue on Broadway.

Haynie will introduce several of those songs, as well as other originals, at Saturday’s concert. A number of Stratford students will make stage appearances.

The Gazebo staff conducted a “curiosity conversation” with Haynie earlier this week. He was asked to reflect on his years at Stratford, and the influence it has had on him.

He also talked the 2013 movie “The Butler,” and a connection he was able to make with the movie’s dialect coach. Through Haynie and his mother,  voice tracks from Stratford’s Prentice Robinson were used by actor Forest Whitaker to study the dialect of an African-American male from the South.