Colorful new mural greets Middle School students

Ms. Anastasia Fink’s Introduction to Art class took it on as a project from April to August

Nora Jorgensen, left, and Gabrielle Rader were among the art students who worked on the project

Gazebo Photo by Sabina Ajjan

Last year’s Introduction to Art class, taught by Ms. Anastasia Fink, painted a mural over the entrance to the middle school hallways.

The class decided to do it as a project because the faculty felt the middle school looked dark and gloomy. It also would give it a more distinctive location. Before, there was no marker that indicated where the high school ends and the middle school begins.

To decide on a design, each member of the art class had to create a sketch of what they thought it should look like.

The faculty voted on which one they liked the most, and the one with the most votes — Lila McCord’s — was the winner.

“I took inspiration from the art that Ms. Fink showed us and from Maya Hayuk,” Lila said.

The art students worked after school, on weekends, and during the summer. It took from mid-April to early August to complete.

Gabrielle Rader was one of the art students. She did not think she would ever get to paint the walls of Stratford before this.

“This project really inspired me because it made me feel I could do anything if I put my mind to it,” she said.