Nwabuebo named STAR student

Chidozie chose science teacher Mr. Luke Harrington as his STAR teacher. They will attend the county-wide banquet later in February.

Gazebo Photo by Sabina Ajjan

Chidozie Nwabuebo has been named Stratford’s STAR student for 2020. 

A student must be in the top 10 percent of their class and attain the highest SAT score in one sitting to be named STAR student.

“It feels good. It’s an accomplishment that I’m going through,” he said. “I’m fine with it. It doesn’t really make me super happy because there is a farther reaching goal of trying to do well, and the SAT, it’s a test, but it doesn’t give me gratitude to be named this.” 

Chidozie has taken many classes taught by Mr. Harrington, including Accelerated Chemistry and AP Chemistry. 

I know that some days you’re going to come home and just not want to work but just gotta put it in even on those days until you get somewhere even when you’re tired.”

— Chidozie Nwabuebo

“His classes have by far been the most challenging and prepared me the most to stud,” Chidozie said. “I learned how to study through his classes, and he has been a great teacher. He’s pushed me to think to levels I never thought I could. I felt like he was the appropriate one, he’s the one who’s helped me the most to get me to where I am today.” 

To prepare for the test, Chidozie did countless practice tests. He studied using SAT preparation books for months before the test. He kept practicing until he was achieving the score he wanted. 

Nevertheless, he was surprised to find out he was STAR student. 

“We have some very intelligent people in our grade, and I expected others to do better than me.”

His advice for other students is to work hard and persevere to achieve their goals.

“I know that some days you’re going to come home and just not want to work but just gotta put it in even on those days until you get somewhere even when you’re tired,” he said.